Thursday, February 3, 2011

A day of baking...

Today seemed like the perfect day for baking muffins. My son was home sick so being
house bound always makes me want to rearrange and bake!

This French farm house style kitchen is very old. About 100yrs old. Lots of worn out
areas... beaten up fir floors that scream character. They also kill my feet! Have you ever
stood all day on real fir floors? This must be the hardest wood going...it's like standing on cement.

The walls have beautiful bead board all around the eating area. I am loving my french country
tablecloth. Lots of happy colours for the winter!

When the weather warms up I am going to paint these ladder back chairs. I am not
liking the pine look.

The walls have that old plaster look on them. Sometimes they look like a family of
cigarette smokers lived here. But I keep telling myself its character like a charming old
home in France.


I love my heavy french copper pot. I use it all the time. It makes me feel like
I'm cooking in the french country side.
I collect aprons too. This one is my favourite . Blue and yellow french country pattern.


So today I decided to try a new muffin recipe. Oatmeal, chocolate chip with pecans.
I put all the ingredients on the counter and measured everything out perfectly.
When all the batter was mixed I put it in the greased muffin tins.
Something didn't seem right with the batter...not wet enough.
Well anyway I scooped it all in and placed the muffins in the oven.

What was staring at me when I went to clean the counter???
An egg!!!
Have you ever done this before? Yikes! I opened the oven door and whipped those
muffins back in the bowl and mushed in the egg!!


Hoping over the next 20minutes that these muffins turn out.
Nothing worse than wasted ingredients...makes me crazy!

Well thank goodness they turned out perfectly and were absolutely delicious!!



The only problem now is I can't stop eating them!!!



And of course I had to take a photo of my toile hearts for Valentine's day!
But I have to confess they are up here all year long.
I love hearts being a romantic at heart!!
Thanks for visiting me!
Pamela xo





16 comments:

  1. Hi Pamela,
    I hope all are well now! The muffins look delicious-that is my problem too when I know goodies are there I can't seem to resist!
    I love the French theme you have going on there.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! The muffins look so good and I am so glad they turned out okay! I did that once while making cookies...and they did not turn out so great! I love your apron too! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE your kitchen...it does have character and that is so nice! I'd love to have that copper pot, too!!

    Your muffins looks delicious. I love to bake but that is my problem...I want to eat what I bake! I'm glad you were able to save the muffins!

    XO,
    Jane

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen it perfect. Those muffins look absolutel yummy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pamela...I love your kitchen...and I love your little hearts that you leave up all year.

    Your muffins looke wonderful. Now, tell the truth..how many did you REALLY eat? lol And, yes...I have finished something, put it in the oven and realized that I left out an ingredient. Hate that! The last time I made chicken and wild rice soup I got interrupted during the chopping and cutting process....put it on to simmer for a few hours and went to dish it up...MyHero wanted to knw where the wild rice was...Yep...it was still in the pantry...but it was good soup anyway!

    Have a wonderful warm winter night- xxooDiana

    ReplyDelete
  6. If those muffins taste anything like what you have fed me already...I bet they turned out awesome!!! Hey everyone this girl can cook some yummy yummy food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those muffins sound yummy. As for leaving something out of the mix, yep I have done it and already baked the cake, turned out a little dry. The funniest mix up was making a butter milk mix that required 1 1/2 cups of butter milk and I used that much mix that would normally make a gallon of butter milk, my husband wondered why it was lumpy, oh well live and learn, next time he can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pamela, that sounds like something I would do. That is why I don't bake much. Those sound really good. You need to share the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your muffins sound yummy. Glad you remembered the egg at the last second. I've used baking soda instead of baking powder before which makes for an intersting taste. Don't think I've ever totally forgotten anything before. Could be because I don't cook all that often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pamela, I love your old kitchen and also think your chairs would look great painted. I too, have left an ingredient out of something I was baking and did the same as you. LOL The muffins look yummy. You can't go wrong with chocolate chips and pecans! Have a great weekend.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Pamela!

    I love your charming kitchen! I love copper pots and have a wee bit of an addiction to aprons... As for ingredients, oh yes, I too have left an ingredient out of something I was baking. Your muffins look and sound great! Although I do a lot of baking, I do not eat much of it. Well, the exception to that rule is when I bake brownies. I love brownies so I do not bake them too often or I would be in serious trouble!

    I hope your son is feeling better. Have a fabulous weekend!

    ~Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeah, I usually forget the butter or the sugar. Very annoying when the batter is all ready to go in the pretty paper cups.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your kitchen looks so nice Pamela, it's no wonder you like to be in there baking! I'm glad the muffins turned out good, I'm getting hungry just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pamela, Loved seeing your kitchen and all your beautiful things. I made a recipe last week and forgot the baking powder. It happens to everyone. (seems I always get a call as I'm baking.) Glad you were able to save and enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Pamela! I have fir floors in my 98 year old house. Must be a Northwest tradition. Sorry to hear that Sam has been ill. I am quite sure that those yummy oatmeal chocolate chip muffins will make him feel better very soon. Love your copper pot too. I have one just like it and it makes me think of Julia Child. Nothing quite like putting on some French music and cooking up a storm!! Give that daring boy extra hugs from me!!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...............last night I made a new bean salad recipe.....it was one of the few things I've ever had to chuck away, very ugly to look at and tasted yucky! Sometimes the old tried and true, simplified foods, are still the best.

    The muffins looked great though....and anything with nuts is healthy I say....glad you rescued them dear!

    Hope Sam is well again.

    ReplyDelete

I love love reading all your comments!! They mean so much to me...thank you..Pamela xo